Skip to main content

EDD Assistance Form

If you have been collecting unemployment benefits due to the COVID-19 pandemic, your claim may have expired or may expire soon.

The Good News is that benefits are still available, but you must reapply.

What You Need to Know

Unemployment insurance claims last for 12 months after they are filed. This is called the benefit year. If you became unemployed when businesses closed or reduced staff in March 2020, your benefit year is over.

What You Can Do

  • You must file a new claim if you are still unemployed, even with a federal extension or have money left on your claim.
  • The easiest way to file is online through the Employment Development Department website.
  • If you apply online, you will be sent to a website where you can upload a selfie for verification of your identity.
  • All claims will be reviewed for fraud prevention.

Does Everyone Need to File a New Claim?

If your benefit year has ended, you must file a new claim if unemployed and have one of these claims:

  • Regular state unemployment
  • Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation extension
  • Federal-State Extended Duration extension

If you have Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), you do not need to file a new claim, since EDD automatically checks these for eligibility at the end of the benefit year. PUA was for people, such as contractors, not eligible for regular unemployment benefits.

Find information on PUA and PUEC extensions.

How Do I Check Whether My Benefit Year Has Ended?

There are three ways:

  1. EDD should notify you when your benefit year is about to end. This notification includes information on how to file a new claim.
  2. You can log onto your Unemployment Insurance Online account and view your claim summary.
  3. You can refer to your Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award (Form DE429Z) for your claim ending date.

What Happens When I File a New Claim?

  • The EDD will let you know if you qualify and what steps to take.
  • If you qualify, the EDD is required to move you to a new claim. If not, EDD may add a federal extension to your claim.
  • You will receive an email and text from EDD when your claim is processed. This usually takes two to three weeks.
  • You may receive a notice saying that your new claim is not valid, but you may still receive benefits. You may qualify for a federal extension. If so, that notice will arrive separately.

Where Can I Learn More About This?

Visit the Department's Benefit Year End page and watch the Ask Eddy video on their YouTube Channel or more information about the benefit year end and what to expect from the process.

If you have any questions that are not answered above, or are not answered on the linked websites, please contact my District Office where staff will work to help you.

Assistance Form
Contact Information/Información del contacto
If it has been over 12 months since your initial claim, have you re-applied for benefits? / Si han pasado más de 12 meses desde su reclamo inicial, ¿ha vuelto a solicitar los beneficios?
What is your issue?/¿Cual es su asunto?
Have you certified for ALL weeks pending of benefits?/¿Ha presentado sus certificaciones para TODAS las semanas pendientes de beneficios?
Have you contacted another elected official?/¿Se ha comunicado con otro funcionario electo?


Please carefully read the following:

By completing this form, I am requesting the Office of Assemblymember Rendon (the “Assemblymember”) to assist me in working with the Employment Development Department (EDD) on my claim. I acknowledge that this may require the release of information contained in my records the dissemination of which may be prohibited by law. Therefore, I hereby authorize EDD and the Assemblymember to share all relevant portions of my records with each other, and to discuss matters relating to those records and my claim, until my claim is resolved.

I agree that I will not submit any personal identifiable information through this form that is not specifically requested. If the Assemblymember’s office needs additional information, such as my EDD number, the office will contact me to request that information.


Lea atentamente lo siguiente:

Al completar este formulario, solicito a la Oficina de la Asambleísta Rendon (la "Asambleísta") que me ayude a trabajar con el Departamento de Desarrollo Laboral (EDD por sus siglas en inglés) en mi reclamo. Reconozco que esto puede requerir la divulgación de información contenida en mis registros cual la divulgación puede estar prohibida por ley. Por lo tanto, autorizo a EDD y al Asambleísta a compartir todas las partes relevantes de mis registros y a discutir asuntos relacionados con esos registros y mi reclamo, hasta que se resuelva mi reclamo.

Acepto que no enviaré ninguna información de identificación personal a través de este formulario que no se solicite específicamente. Si la oficina del Asambleísta necesita información adicional, como mi número de EDD, la oficina se comunicará conmigo para solicitar esa información.

Zip code entered is outside of the District. Please use the Find Your Rep webpage to find your District Representatives.